I love Italian food, actually I love all types of food. But when I have Italian, I’m not taken to the Tuscan mountains, I’m taken back home to when I was 8 years old, and all my mum could feed me was pasta and tomato based. I am a vegetarian for the environmental and health reasons, so I am an great advocate of Quorn and meat substitutes, if you don’t want to use Quorn, use real beef. If you don’t want to use beef or Quorn, use a tin of lentils and some cannelini beans.
-500g of Quorn/Beef Mince OR 1x tin of Cannelini Beans and 1x tin of green/red lentils (OR ANY PULSES YOU WANT!!!)
–2x Sainsburys Chopped Tomatoes with Garlic and Olive Oil or just 2 x tins or cartons of Chopped Tomatoes
–Optional 1x Sachet of bologneise mix, or some Bouillon Vegetable Stock otherwise-2 tsp of mixed herbs or ALL THREE
– 1x Onion
-1x packet of lasagne sheets(fresh or dried)
-1x tub of Bisto Cheese Sauce Granules
-250 mls milk or water (for the Cheese Sauce)
-1 Sainsburys basic mozzarella ball and a few handfuls of grated cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 c., gas mark 5, 350 f. Fry the onions in some olive oil (pour the oil for a 2 seconds and that’s a good quantity to use) in a sensible sized pot. Add a tincy bit of salt so that they don’t burn to the surface, keep an eye on them and fry until they are golden.
2. Now add your Quorn or the Mince. If using pulses don’t add these yet. Fry these with the onions until they are completely brown. Quorn browns in about 2 minutes (a massive plus in my eyes), but mince takes about 5-8 minutes. But use your own judgement.
3. Now add your chopped tomatoes, pulses(if using) and the bologneise mix/herbs/vegetable stock, and about 2 glugs boiling water. Stir well until it is all combined and lovely, feeling 8 years old yet??
4. Turn down to a low heat, and make the cheese sauce according to the instructions, I like to use milk, but water is fine. Alternatively, make it from scratch http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-05v692.html.
5. Make sure the bologneise has boiled for AT LEAST 10-15 mins.
6. Now get a baking dish which is quite deep. Put a third of the “meat” sauce on the base, then layer your lasagne sheets, make sure all the sauce is all covered and the pasta sheets are overlapping. Pour a third of the cheese sauce over these pasta sheets, and add a bit of cheddar. Repeat this so it’s like: “meat”, pasta, cheese sauce, cheddar, “meat”, pasta, cheese sauce, cheddar, “meat, pasta, cheese sauce, cheddar. Finally add some mozzarella, half the ball should do.
7. Put in the oven for about 45 minutes, the top should look really lovely and brown. If not, then simply cook for a bit longer. When you take it out, let it sit for 2-3 minutes or just tuck in!!!